Vasilopita with almonds and blossom water
What you need:
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 ½ cup of sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 wine glass of blossom water
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- a small quantity of vanilla powder
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 cup of blanched almonds
- Toast the almonds in a non-stick pan over medium heat, until light brown. Allow to cool and chop them in a blender until fine. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Beat the butter and the sugar in a separate bowl. Keep beating while you add the egg yolks, milk, blossom water, the baking powder dissolved in the lemon juice, vanilla powder, flour and zest.
- Add the almonds and use a spatula to blend the egg whites gently into the mixture.
- Place in a buttered baking dish and bake in a preheated oven at 180˚C for one hour.
- Set aside to cool, and then dust it with caster sugar.