Panagia Ekatontapiliani Church
For more than 1500 years, the island of Paros commemorates the Assumption (or Dormition) of the Virgin Mary. Τhe sacred temple of Panagia Ekatodapiliani, The Church of Our Lady of One Hundred Gates, celebrates the Dormition of the Virgin with traditional religious ceremonies attracting locals and tourists alike.
The Church is located northeast of the capital of Paros, Paroikia, near the island’s port. Many stories revolved around the foundation, the name and the architect of the church. However, a research conducted in the 20th century demonstrated that the church’s rightful owners were Saint Constantine and Saint Helen.
The Church of Our Lady of One Hundred Gates is one of the oldest monuments of Byzantine ecclesiastical architecture in Greece. Forty years ago, a major renovation revealed the existence of a 4th century church at this site, namely, two centuries before the Justinian epoch. Throughout the centuries, the temple suffered extensive damages, resulting in the distortion of its imposing style. In 1959, Professor Orlandos started the restoration of the temple in the Justinian style, a diligently work completed in 1966.