What you need:
- 500 g white mushrooms
- 2 bundles of spring onions (approximately 10 shoots)
- 400 g spinach
- ½ bundle of dill
- ½ bundle of fennel
- ½ cup of dry white wine
- 100 g brown rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lt water
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Egg and Lemon Sauce (Avgolemono)
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- Finely chop the mushrooms, spring onions, fennel, dill and spinach.
- Put the olive oil in a pot on medium high flame, let it warm up, and sauté the onions, until translucent.
- Add and sauté the rice for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Put some more olive oil, if needed.
- Place the mushrooms in and sauté them for 5 minutes. Pour in the wine, salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the liquids evaporate, then add water, dill and fennel and let boil on medium flame for 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach and let it simmer for 5 minutes (add some hot water, if needed).
- In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice and corn flour.
- Gradually add tablespoons of soup juice to the egg yolk and lemon mix, stirring constantly so that it does not clot. Then pour the mixture into the pot and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and voila your mageiritsa is ready!
- The Visit Greece Team wishes you Happy Easter - the Greek way!