For the dough:
- 100gr milk butter
- 150gr Corfu butter (an intensely flavoured cooking and baking butter made of ewe’s milk) 160gr sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups soft flour
For the filling:
- 1kg sweet myzithra cheese
- 1 egg
- 4 cups of sugar
- Tart moulds: round, 3-5 cm in diameter
- In a bowl (or mixer) mix the butter with the sugar to get a smooth paste. Add the eggs and the flour in increments while you knead at the same time. Continue kneading a little more until you get a homogenous mixture.
- Use another bowl to make the filling: add in the myzithra cheese, egg and sugar and mix them well.
- Line the tart moulds with the dough and fill them with the filling.
- Brush the top of the kalitsounia with whisked egg and sprinkle them with cinnamon. Insert the filled tart moulds in a preheated oven (180ºC) and bake for 25 minutes.
- When done, remove the moulds and allow them to cool down before you remove the kalitsounia (use a little sharp knife the tip of which you run along the side between the mould and the edge of the kalitsounia).
- The most famous Cretan sweet and probably the most beloved; also a treat served on Easter Day.