What you need:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 300 g finely chopped onions
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons mint or dill
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 50-60 fresh vine leaves or one can vine leaves
- 1 lemon
- Warm up ½ cup olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions until tender.
- Add the rice and leave it boil in low temperature and covered for 5 min. Add the rest of the ingredients apart from the vine leaves. Leave it to boil in low temperature for 5 min. Let it cool.
- Rinse the vine leaves in cold water. If you are using fresh vine leaves put them in boiling water for 3 min. Drain the leaves and rinse them with cold water.
- In the center of each leave (its smooth surface must be on the outside) place a teaspoon of the rice mixture. Fold the leaves covering the mixture and wrap them. Do not wrap them very tight as the rice expands when boiled.
- Cover the bottom of a sauce pan with vine leaves in order to keep dolmadakia folded. Cover the sauce pan with its lid and leave them boil in low temperature for about an hour.
- Let them cool down in the sauce pan. Serve with yogurt as starters.