Calamari Stuffed with Rice
What you need:
- 1.5 kg. of medium fresh squid
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finelychopped
- ½ cup of carolina rice washed and soaked for 15΄
- ½ cup pine nuts, slightly roasted
- ½ cup black raisin
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup Chopped dill
- ½ cup chopped mint
- 5 tomatoes grated on a grater
- We clean the calamari from the membrane and the entrails.
- We remove the tentacles and the wings, but we do not throw them away.
- Make a slit in the bottom of the calamari with a small knife.
- The lower part of the tentacles is eatable, except for a small cartilage, so we throw the cartilage and chop the rest part keeping the tentacles intact.
- Finely chop the wings and put them aside.
- To make it easier to fill them, put a saucepan with salt water and vinegar to boil and pour them in for 5΄΄ to boil and swell.
- In a wide saucepan pour 2/3 of the olive oil and let it burn. Add the onion and garlic to fry and add the chopped calamari.
- Then slowly add the herbs to bring out their aromas, pine nuts, raisins and rice. Lower the heat and stir constantly until the rice is shiny.
- Add half of the tomato,salt,pepper and sugar.
- Stir until the rice absorbs most of its liquids and remove from the heat.
- Fill the calamari without pressing it too much, put the tentacles in the opening and nail them with a toothpick.
- Put the remaining olive oil and the tomato in a wide saucepan.
- Season with salt and pepper,add the sugar and put the stuffed calamari in order.
- Add 2 cups of water cover and boil the calamari for about 40΄.