How to spend unforgettable Christmas in Athens
There is no other season as enthusiastically anticipated as Christmas. The year is coming to an end and cities doll themselves up as the streets are gleaming with festive lights and enchanting ornamentations. For those visiting our city this Christmas, we’ve picked the 10 best things to do when in Athens.
1. Want to discover the most flamboyantly decorated corner in town? Then, the Little Kook, the quirky cafe in Psiri neighbourhood, should be your next stop. Tons of lights, ornaments, baubles and ribbons in a wacky and most haphazard arrangement will waken up your childhood memories. You won’t resist the urge of tucking into the scrumptious sweets and massive chocolate cakes that the personnel of the cafe serves all around, dressed up in Christmas outfits!
2. A great number of festivities will be organized by the municipality of Athens from mid-December till the 6th of January so you are most likely to catch some really cool Christmas event while wandering in the streets! To grasp the vibe of the holiday season, the best idea is to start from Syntagma square, where the city’s Christmas tree stands wrapped in lights and festive glee. It is the most ideal way to begin your Christmas walk in town.
3. Are you a compulsive ice-skater? The ice rink at SNFCC will be your dreamland then. Situated at the Canal, in front of the holiday-decorated Agora, it is a merry call to slide on the ice. It opens daily from 10.00 to 22.00 until 31 January 2018.
4. The most exciting aspect of the holiday season is this unique transformative power that is so intrinsic in Christmas; a mysterious desire to embrace our childlike self once again and be careless. Things that we would normally avoid, such as a bustling with crowds theme park, climb in the top of our to-do-list. The Christmas World at Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre awaits to carry you away with its enchanting ambiance. Don’t miss the mesmerizing, interactive luminous installations, the shimmering Christmas trees and the various workshops, parties, concerts and performances that will be held all the way through the first week of January.
5. The Christmas Theatre in Galatsi Olympic Hall should be on your to-go-list as well. From the traditional festive performances, gigs and concerts to spectacular Christmas theatre for audiences of all ages, there are plenty of surprises waiting for you. Let’s not forget, our yearly Christmas favourite, the Nutcracker, presented by the St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre of Russia from the 19th to the 30th of December.
6. Once again, this Christmas the Acropolis Museum will be organizing a series of classical music and jazz events at the ground floor and restaurant. A visit is recommended if you want to fuel up you festive mood with airy music in the most iconic museum of Athens.
7. Are you craving to delve into the world of Great Gatsby? F. Scott Fitzgerald’s tribute to the glory and style of the Jazz Age is brought to life in a show that will definitely excite book and cinema lovers. For four shows only – December 21, 22, 28 and 29 – The Great Gatsby will unravel its cinematic beauty in the Grand Hyatt Athens hotel. After the show, the hotel will host a themed after party on the rooftop terrace, blending cocktails with live music and spectacular shows. The cherry on the top will be the Acropolis starring on the background.
8. Whether you’re a local or just in town for a while, New Year’s Eve in Thision is the best place to say adieu to 2018 and welcome the New Year in a wonderful festive bash on the streets of Athens. Music, merry people, and dancing; all that is needed to gladden your heart on this very special day of the year!
9. In Greece, when it comes to food and feasting, we definitely know our stuff! There is an endless list things to try. From the all-time classic finger-licking-good melomakarona and the powdered with sugar kourabiedes cookies, to the soaked in honey Diples, Christmas is the best season for passionate foodies. Good news is that, while walking in the streets, you will find a bakery at every corner offering our favourite Christmas goodies!
10. On the the 1st of January the Hilton New Year’s day hangover brunch is the perfect kick-off for 2019. Before going to bed, feed yourself generously and sober up after the long party night!
Want some more tips about Athens this holiday season?
Take a look at our "ATHENS FESTIVE GUIDE - XMAS 2018" brochure.
Clio Muse Tours