Gigantes with Bacon
What you need:
- 250 gr giant beans (aka gigantes)
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- For the tomato sauce:
- 1/3 of a cup of olive oil
- 2 dry chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 cup of red wine
- 2 medium tomatoes (pureed)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Place the beans in a bowl with plenty of water and let them soak overnight.
- Boil for 30 to 60 min. until the beans get a soft texture.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) Fan.
- In a deep pan heat up a tablespoon of olive oil, add and sauté the bacon, the onions and garlic. Then add the wine.
- Once the alcohol has evaporated, add the tomato paste and tomato purée.
- Don’t forget to add salt, sugar and spices! Let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Place the beans in a large baking pan and pour the tomato sauce over them along with the remaining olive oil and water.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- You can serve with feta cheese and a glass of red agiorgitiko Greek wine. Bon Appétit!