What you need:
- For 12 large patties
- 1/2 lb. (250 gr.) dry chick peas, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized ripe tomato, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 heaping Tbsp. cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 - 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 - 1 cup of all-purpose flour (for rolling the patties)
- Olive or other vegetable oil for frying.
- Soak the chick peas for 8 hours or overnight to soften
- Drain and boil in a pot with plenty of water. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 1½ hrs.
- Remove from heat, drain and rinse. Place the chick peas in a blender and process on slow speed to form a rough mixture.
- Mix the chick pea mixture with the onions, tomato, mint, cumin and season with salt and pepper.
- Add enough flour to form a thick dough that can be kneaded into small balls.
- Spread the rest of the flour onto a large plate. Take about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and form it into a large flattened ball. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Roll the patties in flour, shaking each lightly to remove excess flour.
- Heat enough oil, about 6 cm depth, in a large heavy skillet, over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, fry them until golden, turning once to cook the other side as well, 2-4 min.
- Remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towel. Continue until all the patties are fried, replacing the oil when needed. They can be served, hot, warm, or at room temperature.