Ingredients for Dough:
- 6-8 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cup fine semolina, corn or rice flour
- 7 cups milk
- lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 500 g crust flaky pastry
- 1½ cup melted butter
For the Syrup:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Beat the eggs with sugar until mashed. Add semolina, milk and lemon zest.
- Boil in low fire constantly stirring until mixture is thick. Take it away from fire.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter. Butter a bake pan (90x120x20) and roll out 2/3 of the crust flaky pastry buttering each one of them with the melted butter.
- The corners of the flaky pastry must be out of the baking pan. Pour the mixture of cream on top of the crust flaky pastry and turn its corners in order to cover the mixture.
- Roll out the rest of the crust flaky pastry buttering each one with butter.
- With a knife cut the top three crust flaky pastries in squares of six centimeters and sprinkle them with water.
- Bake in medium fire for 45 minutes.
- Syrup preparation: Boil sugar, water and lemon zest for 5 minutes.
- Pour the lukewarm syrup over the baked galaktoboureko.
- Let it cool before serving!