It is a historic town (and a former center of tobacco production) built on the foot of Menikos mountain. Prosotsani is located 15 km west of Drama.
- The refurbished Institutes.
- The neoclassic buildings and the remaining tobacco shops.
The springs of Aggitis river, which passes through the west side of Drama plain, and connecting with the waters of Filipon ditch falls to Strimonas river. A visitors area is built here.
- Maara cave (Aggiti Springs) 10km northwest, is mentioned by Herodotus but was discovered in 1978 by Greek and French speleologists. The “Acropoli” hall which has 120m length, 67m width and 45m height (!) and through which passes the river is truly amazing. A water wheel, which was used for supplying the area with water from the Ottoman occupation up to the middle of 20th century is still preserved close to the cave’s entrance (“Milos Hall) . In the cave scientists have discovered findings from the Neolithic era and bones of prehistoric animals.
- The ancient sanctum of Dionysus which was recently found 2.5km away from the scenic village of Kali Vrisi.
- Cultural events during the period of Prophet Ilias celebration on the 14th until the 20th of July.
- Wine roads of North Greece: the route of Dionysus wine in the area (information: The Wine Producers Association of Northern Greece, HELEXPO –154 Egnatia Str, Thessaloniki – Tel.: 2310 281.632, www.wineroads.gr)
Useful Phone Numbers
- Municipality: 25220-21.010
- Police station: 25220-22.100
- Health Center: 25220-22.222
- Alpine Club of Prosotsani: 25220-41.822
- Municipal Turism Development S.A. of Aggiti Cave Springs: 25220-60.460
- Meniki Information Center 25220-31.900
Find the map here