Greece’s railway network is approximately 2,500 km long, covering the greater part of the mainland and linking the country to Central Europe and Turkey. The transportation of passengers, luggage and driver-accompanied vehicles is carried out through regularly scheduled routes that are amended every year. The routes are carried out by high-quality Intercity-type trains (express and regular) and by regular trains (high-speed), etc). When traveling by train, it is worth looking at the architecture of the old stations along the line, most of which had been built at the end of the 19th C. and are of unique workmanship and symbols of early industrial architecture.
*For more information on time-tables, ticket prices and special O.S.E. services, contact:
Hellenic Railways Organization (O.S.E.):
- Call 1440 for pre-recorded information giving train departures (domestic and Athens-Thessaloniki)
- Call 1110 for telephone reservations for passengers from Attica to Thessaloniki
- O.S.E. Central Information 1-3 Karolou St, Athens, Tel: +30 210 5297777
- Thessaloniki Railway Station. +30 2310 517517 - 8,
Off: Νο 4 Trips, 18 Aristotelous St, Tel: +30 2310 598120
- Patras: Railway Station. +30 2610 639108 - 9
- Larisa Railway Station. +30 2410 236250
Off: Νο 3 Trips, 37 Papakyriazi St, Tel: +30 2410 590239
- Volos Railway Station. +30 24210 24056
Off: Νο 8 Trips, 17 Iasonas St, Tel: +30 24210 28555
- For special information and assistance for persons with special needs (ΑΜΕΑ), call: +30 210 5298838 (for Athens) and +30 2410 590263 (for Larisa). There are competent O.S.E. staff at the Athens and Larisa Railway Stations to assist persons with special needs who are traveling by train.
- For information on foreign bus routes, call: +30 210 5298739 - 40, +30 210 5135768 - 9