The Old Town with its historic buildings, the wonderful neoclassic houses, the narrow lanes and the cobbled streets
The legendary castle of Palamidi, trademark of the city. Until 1956 its ascension had to be done by the 999 stone steps that Bavarians had built. Since 1957 there is also a road leading to the castle. It was built by venetians in 1687 and from 1715 until 1822 it was occupied by the Ottomans. After long siege Greeks managed to seize it. After the Greek Independence it was used as prison for those sentenced to death. Here was imprisoned Theodoros Kolokotronis when he was sentenced to death, as both his judges (Tertsetis and Polizoidis) refused to sign his sentence.
Akronafplia built in a rocky peninsula on the foot of Palamidi hill. This was the previous location of Nafplio during the Byzantine period. It was consecutively occupied by Romans, Franks, Venetians and Ottomans. The latter named it Its Kale. George the 1st built here camps and prisons. In 1970 people built hotels on top of the ruins.
Bourtzi, the Venetian castle standing on an islet and other historic buildings such as the first Greek Parliament and the first “Allididaktiko” School (school where the older students gave lessons to younger students). Nowadays it houses a cinema-theater.
The Archeological Museum housed in an old Venetian building in Syntagma square. It includes remarkable findings from the Paleolithic era up to the Roman times.
The Museum of War housed in the buildings of the former Police Academy and presenting the modern military history of Argolida prefecture.
The Central Public Library and the Gallery
The Folklore Museum of Peloponnesian Institution
Children’s Museum (located in the old train station) and the unique Worry Beads Museum
The City Hall in Trion Navarchon square which housed the first Gymnasium in Greece
Xira’sGate built the same period as Palamidi and was recently reconstructed
Ioannis Kapodistrias statue at the homonym square
“Pronia” district with its scenic one storey houses. It was the first area constructed outside the city. Here stands the sculptured lion in honor of Bavarians who died in Greece from the plague in the period of 1833-34.
Aghios Spiridonas Ioannis Kapodistrias the fisrt governor of Greece was murdered outside this church. On the church wall the traces of one of the fatal bullets is protected by exhibition glass.
Aghios Georgios (17th century). It is the metropolitan church and has remarkable hagiographies and icons such as the replica of the “Last Supper" by Leonardo Da Vinci.
GennisitisTheotokou (Birth of the Virgin Mary)
Tirintha (7 km N). It is worth to visit ancient Tirintha, one of the most famous archeological sites. Its first constructions date back to the Neolithic Times. The Cyclopean walls built 14th and 13th century B.C. surround the upper, middle and lower citadel. The city extends around the citadel. Not far away (1 km NW) you can see a vaulted Mycenaean tomb.
Nea Kio (7 km W). It is a coastal city with great touristic movement, built at the end of Nafplio bay. It is worth to visit the Culture-Convention Center (located on the central square) and Laskaridio Folklore Museum. Many interesting events happen during the carnival, summer period(“Mikrasiatika”and “Kiana” events) and during September (“Papalina Feast”).
Mili (12 km SW) with the ruins of ancient Lerna known from the battle of Hercules with Lernaean Hydra (water beast that possessed numerous heads).
Visitgreece.gr is the official tourism web site for Greece, run by the Greek National Tourism Organisation, where you'll find information on the main tourist destinations, such as cities, beaches, as well as activities, events and much more!