Karisthos is a picturesque town and port, with many squares and a functional street planning which was designed by city planners of king Othonas. It is known from ancient times for its famous Karistos slabs, slate rocks of the area. The village is located 124 km SE of the town of Chalkida.
- The ancient marble quarries in Kylindroi after Myloi.
- The restored Venetian tower (Bourtzi) on the beach to the east side of the town. The tower was built in 13th century.
- The ruins of a Venetian castle (Castello Rosso, 13th - 15th century) which is situated further from the small forest.
- The imposing Town Hall.
- The Giokaleio Foundation housing the Archaeological Museum with exposition of important findings from the region.
- The Cathedral of Aghios Nikolaos.
- The mausoleum of a Roman official surrounded by a peristyle.
- The Monastery of Aghia Mavra, which follows the old calendar.
- The Monastery of Taxiarches (Archangels) in Kalyvia dating back to 9th -12th century and the one of Aghios Georgios in Methochi.
- The mountain Ochi, on top of which stands one of the renowned “drakospita”. It is a megalithic construction dating back to the 6th to 2nd century B.C.
- The mountain settlements of Ochi (Kalyvia, Aghios Dimitrios, Pothi, Giannitsi).
- The village of Platanistos (18 km SE), where you can see a defensive wall of the Hellenistic period.
- The lush green landscape of Aghia Triada.
- The village of Palaiochora, where there was a cemetery dating back to the Hellenistic period.
- The picturesque villages of Kavo Doro, Amygdalia, Drymonari, Prinia, etc.
- The gorge of Dimosari, which begins from the source of the Dimosaris River near the Myli and ends on the beach of Kolianou 10 km further.
- Swimming at the beach of Karystos, as well as Livadaki, Plaiopithara, Mnimata, Aghia Paraskevi, Psili Ammos, Kavos, Bouros, Bathy Avlaki, Aghioi, Kalami, Kioni, Platys Gialos and Livadi.
- Cultural events are organized during the summer.
- The Wine Festival from late August until early September.
Useful Phone Numbers
- Municipality: 22240-22.246
- Police station: 22240-22.262
- Local Port Authority: 22240-22.227
- Hospital: 22240-24.001
- Archaeological Museum: 22240-25.661