Spianada: It is the central square, which was built by the Venetians and is considered the biggest square of the Balkans. Most of the events, as musical concerts, processions and parades take place here. Moreover, cricket matches are organized at the lawn of Spianada. On the other side we can find the Pentofanaro, an ideal place for skateboarding, the monument to the Unification of Eptanisa to Greece, the Venetian cittern and the kiosk where the concerts of the philharmonic orchestras take place.
Liston, one of the most characteristic buildings of Spianada. It was built by the French engineer Lesseps during the French occupation. It is built according to the prototype of the buildings of Rue de Rivoli in Paris. A line of patisseries, cafeterias and shops shows a cosmopolitan atmosphere and at the same time is a meeting point for residents and visitors.
The palace of Michael and Georgios, a remarkable neoclassical building constructed between 1819 and 1823. The palace with the rich decoration, grandiose gates and the row of Doric order columns was used as the headquarters of the English Commissioner of the Ionian Senate and of the Order of the Saint Michael and George. The palace currently houses the Museum of Asian Art as well as the Municipal Library.
The Readers’ Society of Corfu, the oldest cultural institution of modern Greece.- The Gate of Aghios Nikolaos . Opposite the Reader’s Society, below the central road, is the Faliraki creek and the famous private beach of Corfu “Baniatou Alekou”. - The old fortress, which is situated on a hill overhanging Spianada. For defense reasons, it was turned from a peninsula into an islet, with the construction of the Contra Fossa canal. The fortification began by the Byzantines and later was continued by the Venetians. It is connected to the town by an astonishing bridge. The most significant monuments within the fortress are the central gate, the bastions of Savorniane, Martinengo and Mandracchio, the towers of land and sea, the church of Aghios Georgios (1840), the basilica based on the design of an ancient Doric sanctuary, a Latin chapel, the old prisons, the English barracks and the English hospital. You will also see the Lighthouse, the clock tower, the Public Central Library and the Historical Archives.
The Campielo, the most ancient quarter of Corfu, with the church of Panaghia Kremasti and the square with the Venetian well.- The Mouragia, one of the most enchanting neighborhoods of the town. From here, you will follow Arseniou street, which starts from the old port and ends at the palace of Michael and Georgios, at the central square.- The old Prefecturebuilding, which is situated at Mouragia. It is a building of special interest, a characteristic token of neoclassical architecture, a work made by the architect Ioannis Chronis. The old Perfecture is built at the place of the house where Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first governor of Greece was born.- The Town Hall square, the most important square in the Venetian times. The arcade of the Noblemen, Lotzia, was at the space where today is the Town Hall (known also as “San Giakomo”, 1693) and is one of the most beautiful buildings of the town.
The new fortress housing the Ceramics Museum and the outdoors theatre. Here you will also see the English barracks
The Ionian Parliament, where the union of the Ionian Islands with Greece was voted. The building was designed by the architect Ioannis Chronis.- It is worth to see the Monument of Menekratis, in Garitsa, with the hammer dressed stones, bearing an archaic inscription referring to Menekratis being a consul from Galaksidi.- The Platitera Monastery. It is situated in Madouki and is decorated with remarkable frescos, pictures and precious heirlooms. The tomb of Kapodistrias is situated here. The neighborhood has many small taverns.- The Spilia area, at the old port.
The Jewish Quarter. Here the Jewish residents of the past used to have their shops.- The Archaeological museum, housing exhibits from archeological sites of the town and amongst them stands out the impressively large pediment of Gorgo from the Doric temple of Artemis.- Kanoni is one of the most touristic spots in Corfu, with an excellent view to the monastery of Vlacherna, Pontikonisi, Chalikiopoulou lagoon and the airport.- The island of Pontikonisi, a small islet which has become the distinguishing mark of the island. According to the mythology it was a Phoenician ship that turned into rock.
Mon Repos (3 km. S): You shouldn’t fail to visit this marvelous estate. The neoclassical building was used by the ex royal family as a country residence. The mansion was built in order to accommodate the English Commissioner Frederic Adam and his wife Diamadina Palatianou who was from Corfu. It is a masterpiece of the neoclassical architecture of 19th century. It hosts the small, but interesting Archaeological Museum of Paleopolis. - Paleopolis is the archaeological site situated near Mon Repos. It was the marketplace of the ancient Corfu. The temple of Kardaki (situated in Mon Repos along with another ancient temple), the Roman spas, the market and the building dating back to the Late Hellenistic era are worth visiting.- The small island of Vidos (Ptychia), opposite the old port, which is accessible by boat. It is full of lush vegetation, pines and palm trees and in the past there was a reformatory centre here. The island is a natural habitat for pheasants, partridges, hares and wild rabbits, but hunting is forbidden. There is a restaurant and some very beautiful beaches.- The Lazareto (Gouvino) is another small island lushly vegetated across the old port and is considered a national monument.
Visitgreece.gr is the official tourism web site for Greece, run by the Greek National Tourism Organisation, where you'll find information on the main tourist destinations, such as cities, beaches, as well as activities, events and much more!