Visit Kournas Lake on the island of Crete, which is surrounded by hills, just a few kilometres away from the sea and at the boundaries of Chania and Rethymno. The lake was known as Korisia in antiquity and is nowadays a destination attracting thousands of visitors every year. The lake’s water increases during winter, from adjacent sources in the mountains and decreases in summer revealing a gold sandy strip. The shallow clear waters at the shore gradually get darker towards the centre of the lake, reaching a maximum depth of 22.5m. Gaze at its surface mirroring the green surrounding, a safe haven to the area’s avifauna and protected by the Natura 2000 program.
Home to a large number of birds and animals, Lake Kournas is the place where you can encounter moorhens, ducks, geese, herons, cormorants, eels, water snakes, goldfish and rare species of turtles who are permanent residents of this friendly wetland.
Seize the moment by:
- starting with a refreshing dive in the lake’s warm turquoise waters
- hopping on a pedal boat and enjoying a ride followed by ducks
- relaxing on a lounger and letting your eyes capture the unspeakable beauty of the landscape that changes colours as the sun tilts
- walking along the lake shore and taking in the peace and tranquility.
If the previous activities have opened your appetite you may want to taste some traditional Cretan recipes in tavernas located nearby, on the main road.
If more time is available explore the area and visit:
- the picturesque village Kournas (at 4km from the lake) and the cave with its beautifully formed stalactites and stalagmites
- Argyroupolis village where you’ll get the chance to see parts of the excavated ancient city Lappa. The area is renowned for Agia Dynamis springs, which is surrounded by a wooded area and crystal clear waters flowing from the mountains and some old mills.
- the wonderful tourist village Georgioupolis, where you’ll find lot’s of resorts and accommodations, a long beach next to Almyros River that flows through a verdant place and ends up in a picturesque harbour.
How to get there