KAMARES CAVE, NE of the Kamares village, is situated on the southern slope of Mount Ida (or Psiloritis) at an altitude of 1520 m (the ascent to it takes 1 h). The cave was discovered in 1890 by a villager, while excavations conducted later (1913) by British archaeologists uncovered important Minoan findings; among the latter the most outstanding ones were abundant quantities of the famous Kamares ware, multicoloured pottery of the Middle Minoan period. Exquisite examples of this style of pottery were also found at the great palaces of Knossos and Phaestus. They are displayed at present in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion. The cave, which served as a dwelling to Neolithic people, was dedicated to the worship of the great Minoan deity. A visit to the cave entails a long ascending walk.