Kamares village is located 57 km southwest of Heraklion on Heraklion-Aghia Varvara-Gergeri-Kamares route. The homonym cave took its name from this village and is located northwest of Kamares in the south side of Psiloritis mountain at an altitude of 1.520 altitude.
The cave has a very characteristic type of ceramic the so-called "Kamaraiko" dating back to 2000 B.C. It was discovered in 1890 by a local, later excavation done by English archeologists (1913) uncovered remarkable Minoan findings and particularly great quantities of beautiful colorful vessels of the middle Minoan era (Paleoanaktoriki). Sample of such vessels found in Ilithiias cave as well as in Knossos and Faestos palaces can be seen at the Museum of Heraklion. The cave, which served as a dwelling to Neolithic people, was dedicated to the worship of the great Minoan deity.