PATISION STREET (28TH OCTOBER STR.)
It is a central street leading to the homonym district, which until the early 20th century was a country area with small houses and gardens. During the city’s rapid reconstruction Patision Str. was turned into an urban area. Nowadays it has become one of the busiest streets in Athens. Despite the construction of many modern buildings, the area preserves some neoclassic, Art Nouveau and modernistic buildings as an example of its former architectural style. After the intersection with Alexandra Av., number of sights such as Victoria square (in 3rd Septemvriou Str.), the building of Athens University of Economics (1935), the pioneer at its time " Chara" block of flats (337 Patision Str., 1959-1961) and Kypriadis district (surrounding Papadiamanti Square), built in the 1920's as a model garden city (with villas, two storey houses with gardens, rich vegetation) and despite its later reconstruction still preserving its old atmosphere, are of particular interest.
Polytechnic School (National Metsovio Polytechnic University). It was built in the period of 1861-1876 by L. Kaftantzoglou and is a prime example of Athens urban tradition. It consists of a central building and two T shape wings facing Patision Str. It is as high as a two storey building and the ground floor is aesthetically constructed as a base. Two beautiful ladders lead to the ground floor's entrance designed in Ionic style with four columns. The entrance is a model of the north room of Erechtheion. “Acropol Palace” Hotel (1925-1926). It is a five storey building designed by I. Magiasi constituting a typical example of Athenian Art Nouveau. It is one of the most beautiful buildings in Athens.
Tositsa Street. It is a wide pedestrian street between National Metsovio Polytechnic University and National Archeological Museum garden, with trees in the middle and is a place for walking and resting.
National Archeological Museum. An imposing building constructed during the late 19th century by L. Lange and E. Ziller. Its Ionic style entrance is decorated with clay statues, copies of ancient artworks while in its right and left side extends an oblong porch. Its beautiful garden gathers many Athenians, especially during summer period (for museum’s exhibits).
Egyptou Square. It is an elegant square at the intersection of Patision Str. and Alexandra Av. with neoclassic and modernistic houses, typical examples of the area’s urban style.
PEDION TOU AREOS
It is the largest park of Athens (230 sq. m). It was created in 1934 and took its name from Roman campus martius, as at that period the area was used for military exercises. It is popular with Athenians as a place for walking and resting, at the same time you can find many coffee houses, open-air theaters and event venues.
King Konstantinos Statue. A bronze statue of King Konstantinos (1862-1922) standing on a monumental marble base, created in 1938. It is situated at the central entrance of the park opposite Egyptou Square.
Athena Statue (Promachou). It was created in 1952 by B. Falireas in honor of British, Australians and New Zealanders who died during the Second World War. The marble lioness standing on the statue base was created by Ath. Limnaeos.
Iroon Avenue. It is a wide and impressive park street with busts of Greek Independence War fighters. The avenue extends along the park entrance from the side of Mavromataeon Street.
Taxiarches Church. A post Byzantine church of 16th or 17th century. In the courtyard there is a monument with the statue and bones of Prince Alexander Ipsilantis (1792-1828), who took part in the Independence War of 1821.
Aghios Charalampos. It was built in 1928 on the ruins of another church. It has a free cross shape and an interesting icon created by outstanding Greek painter F. Kontoglou.
Mavromataeon Street. It is an elegant street which starts from Archeological Museum and ends up in Kodrigtonos Street. In the part opposite of Pedion tou Areos there is a complex of luxurious and impressive blocks of flats, built in the period of 1925-1960 when this street was one of the most aristocratic ones in Athens.
It is a typical urban district of Athens which despite its massive reconstruction and overpopulation still preserves the aristocratic atmosphere of its past. After the 1990’s the area was inhabited by many immigrants giving it a multicultural character. The preserved neoclassic buildings among the modern blocks in the district streets (Drossopoulou, Eptanisou, Ithakis, Tenedou, Spetson, Lefkados etc) are worth seeing. Aghia Zoni (1927) and Aghios Georgios (in the homonym square, 1931) churches are also interesting.
Fokionos Negri Street. It is an impressive wide pedestrian street with rich vegetation extending from Kipseli Square to Drossopoulou Str and is the Kipseli centre. It was created in 1937 on a former river bed and it was initially named "Green Avenue". During the 1980’s it was famous for its night life and gathered many politicians and artists. Busy any hour of the day, it is an entertainment area for many Athenians as along all the length of the street has coffee houses, small bars and restaurants.
Dikastiria (or Courts, former Evelpidon School). It is a complex of neoclassic buildings in the south part of Kipseli (Evelpidon Str.). Its construction began in 1900 and was finished four years later (designed by E. Ziller). It was initially built to house Evelpidon School (School of Police officers). In the beginning of the 1980’s it housed Athens Courts.