Livadeia is the capital of the prefecture as well as the commercial and financial center of the wider region. It has 20,061 inhabitants and is built at the feet of mount Elikon. Erkynas river flows through the town. Homer refers to Livadeia with its former name, Mideia. According to Pausanias, Livadeia was named after Athenian hero, Levados, who persuaded the locals to build the town at its current location. Livadeia participated in the War of Troy and became famous due to the Oracle of Trofonios Zeus. The town suffered many barbarian raids and in 1460 it was occupied by the Turks, who made it capital of Roumeli (“vilaeti”). It was the birthplace of Lambros Katsonis (glorious sea fighter during the pre-revolution period and spiritual father of Odysseas Androutsos) and one of the first towns to revolt (under Athanasios Diakos’ leadership ) against the Turks. Livadeia was incorporated in the Greek state in February 1829. It is located 116 km NW of Athens and 397 km S of Thessaloniki (via Bralou).