Alexandroupoli, the seat of the Prefecture of Evros, is a town built by the sea with a modern street planning that flourished mainly after the liberation of Thrace (1920). Nowadays, Alexandroupoli is a town with a constant growth rate and a major trade, financial and tourist center thanks to its port and airport.
In the past, Alexandroupoli was known as “Dedeagats”, while afterwards it was named after king Alexander (1917 -1920), the second born son of king Constantine.
The great lighthouse, symbol of the town and one of its sights, is located at the coastal road. It was constructed by the French “lighthouse and lantern” company ("Faron kai Fanon") and it started serving on June 1st 1880. The building of Zarifeios Pedagogic Academy, a donation of Georgios and Eleni Zarifi, located at Ethnikis Anexartisias square and the ones of Leontarideios School (Urban Boys School) and 3rd Primary School, at Mitropoleos Square, are samples of late 19th century and early 20th century architecture still preserved in Alexandroupoli.
Finally, the Ecclesiastical Museum of the Holy Diocese of Alexandroupoli and Samothrace, which is housed today in the building of Leontarideios School, at Mitropoleos square, has a collection of Post-Byzantine icons, sacred utensils and relics, vestments, wooden-carved works and historical documents from the region of Evros as well as the rest of Eastern Thrace.