Its name originates from the copper [halkos in Greek] mines that used to exist on the island. Since 1983, it has been nominated as the «Island of Peace and Friendship» among the youth of the world, offering qualitative staying conditions and marvelous peace. It flourished at the end of 19th century, when Halkites [inhabitants of Halki] developed navigation and mainly sponge commerce. Halki followed the historic course of Rhodes and was officially united with Greece in 1948. It extends over a surface of 28 km2; its coastline is 34 km and counts 430 inhabitants. It can be reached by ferry from Piraeus (220nm) and Rhodes’ Kameiros (10nm).