Eretria is a coastal town in Evia and the "gateway” of the island, as it can be reached by ferry from Oropos, Attica. Built in the place of the glorious ancient city-state, Eretria was a dominant maritime, commercial and agricultural power which established colonies in the Aegean region and in Southern Italy. It was destroyed twice by Persians and Romans, while later was abandoned until 1827, when refugees settled here from island Psara (the city's previous name was Nea Psara). Amarinthos is located 23,5 km SE of Chalkida.
- Its impressive theater (5th century B.C).
- The temples of Dafniforos Apollo, Dionysus, Dimitra and Isida.
- The "mosaic house" (370 B.C.) with mosaic floors dating back to 4th century B.C.
- The ancient vault and the Macedonian tomb. Moreover, you may visit the ruins of fortifications, houses, palaestra, gymnasium as well as Roman purple dying facilities (2nd century A.C.).
- Ditiki Pili or West Gate, which was the central gate of ancient Eretria.
- The Archeological Museum with important findings from Eretria, Magoula, Amarintho and Lefkanti.
- The tower with the statues on the beach that has the characteristic inscription of “Amarinthias Artemidos” and belongs to Kanari family.
- The Museum of Modern Art of Peace and Chalkidismos. It includes paintings of Greek painter Vassilis Chalkidiotis (doctor, hematologist and professor at the Medical School of Modena University) and others.
- The neoclassical mansion (1847) of Kanari family. Konstantinos Kanaris, the captain of fire ships from island Psara, lived in Eretria from 1847 until 1864.
- The Pezonisi or Nisi ton Oneiron (Island of Dreams) covered with pine forests, which is connected to Eretria by a bridge.
- Geroda, a small settlement on mount Olympus.
- Swimming on the seaside of the settlement and the beaches W to Malakonta and E to Magoula and Amarintho.
- Water sports
- Celebration of the last Sunday of the Carnival and Clean Monday.
- Cultural events organized by the Municipal authorities during the summer.
- Feast in honor of Aghios Nikolaos on the 6th of December.
- Feast in honor of Aghia Anna in Gerontas on the 24th and 25th of July.
Useful Phone Numbers
- Municipality: 22290-62.207
- Police station: 22290-64.888
- Local Port Authority: 22290-62.201
- Taxi: 22290-62.500
- Local medical center: 22290-62.222
- Archaeological Museum: 22290-62.206