Elafonissos, just 300 m from Pounta in the shore of Peloponnesus, has a history of about 5,000 years, since it was inhabited from the Third and Second Millenium B.C., as evidenced by prehistoric findings. During the Peloponnesian War it was a battle field between the Athenians and the Spartans, as the former had fortified the isthmus that connected at that time the island with Pounta. From 1839 until 1850 belonged to the British, which considered it part of the Eptanisa. It is connected with Pounta or Neapolis, Lakonia through local ferry boat routes. It extends over 9000 sq. m and has a population of 750 inhabitants.