An island ideal for peaceful vacation, with beautiful landscape and local people who offer inner peace. The inhabitants of the island say that it was the place itself and not the witch Kalypso, which enchanted Ulysses, making him deviate from his route on his return to Ithaca.
Lipsi island is situated in the north part of Dodecanese and is the largest island among a complex of smaller islands and islets, which are of great environmental interest (they are part of the Natura network). The island is located between Patmos and Leros and was initially inhabited during prehistoric age. The modern settlement was founded in 1669 by a Cretan called Ilias. The island of Lipsi was officially united with Greece in 1948. It extends over a surface of 16 km2; its coastline is 35 km and counts 700 inhabitants. It can be reached by ferry from Leros and Patmos’ ports respectively.
Sights worth visiting
The surrounding islands:
Around Lipsi there are several small islands and rock-islets. The most distinguishing ones are: Makronisi and Frago SW, Refoulia NW, Aspronisia E and Kalapodia SE.