Capital of the prefecture, built on the entrance of the Gulf of Amvrakikos. A modern city, administrative, commercial, intellectual and tourist center of the prefecture. Beautiful, traditional buildings adorn the port and the historical center while the pedestrian walkways and cobblestone streets lined with popular taverns and cafès remind us of the islands. The city’s rich intellectual and artistic activities include frequent conferences, exhibitions and festivals.
Preveza is built on the location of ancient Vereniki which was founded by Pyrrhus, the king of Epirus,in 290 B.C. to honor his mother-in-law, Vereniki. The city was established towards the late 11th century, after Nikopolis was deserted. Many conquerors passed through the city until it was finally incorporated with Greece in 1912. Its port offers connections to the islands of the Ionian sea. It is located 426 km NW of Athens (via Rio-Antirio) and 440 km SW of Thessaloniki (via the Ioannina-Trikala-Larisa road).
At Nikopolis, 7 km N, an extremely important archaeological site founded by Octavius Augustus, in honor of his victory in the naval battle against Antony and Cleopatra at Aktio (31 B.C.). It was built upon a 3.5 km wide “cleft” between the Amvrakikos lagoon of Mazoma and the Ionian Sea. During Roman years, it flourished as the capital, administrative and ecclesiastic centre of the Roman province of Old Epirus. The city was deserted after the Bulgarians invaded it in the early 10th century. Among others, the archaeological site includes Roman walls, a conservatory and theatre (1st century A.D.), Augustus’ Monument, the Nymphaeum, the Byzantine walls, a Paleochristian villa and the Vasilospito, a Roman structure which was also used in Christian times.
At the Pontic settlements of Nea Sampsounta-Nea Sinopi-Arhaggelos, 20 km N, with the Minor Asia customs surviving to this day. The Byzantine Monastery of Kozili can be found on a hill amidst age-old trees, and is the head of the Kozili Episcopate, which was founded before 1020, after ancient Nikopolis was deserted.
At the villages of Kamarina - Kriopigi, 25.5 km NW, with a view of the Amvrakikos Gulf and the Ionian Sea. The archaeological site of ancient Kassoppi, capital of the Kassopian tribe of Epirus which was established just before the mid 4th century B.C and declined with the founding of Nikopolis, is situated near Kamarina.
At Zalogo, 29 km NW. In December 1803, the women of Souli threw themselves and their children off the rugged cliff of this historical place while singing in order to avoid capture by Ali Pasha’s men. The monument in honor of these heroic women was crafted in 1961 by sculpture G. Zogolopoulos and architect P. Karantinos.