It is the second most populated town after Alexandroupoli (15,500) and the cultural, administrative and commercial center of the northern Evros region. The modern town was founded in 1923 after the signature of the Treaty of Lausanne by refugees from Adrianoupoli and Karagats. Orestiada is located 115 km NE of Alexandroupoli.
- The Folklore and History Museum exhibiting historical photographic material, local costumes, embroidery, agricultural tools, weapons, etc.
- The Folklore Collection in the village of Nea Vyssa (12 km N) which presents great interest.
- The valley of Ardas, a tributary of Evros, where you can see tomb memorials and megalithic tombs.
- “Oresteia": festivities organized every year in June in order to celebrate the establishment of the town.
- “Theoodoreia”: cultural events in honor of Aghioi Theodoroi (a movable feast).
Useful Phone Numbers
- Municipality: 25520-22.219
- Police station: 25520-81.805
- Traffic Police: 25520-81.834
- Health Center: 25520-22.222
- Folklore and History Museum: 25520 28.080
- Taxi: 25520-24.443
- Intercity Bus Service: 25520-22.550