Thermopiles is a community between the mountain of Kallidromo and Maliakos bay, built near the coastal strait of the ancient times (Πύλαι - Gates) bearing the same name. The straits of Thermopylae were a theatre of major military operations and became famous because of the battle between Greeks and Persians which took place in 480 B.C. Nowadays, the region has turned to a plain. Thermopiles is located 18 km SE of Lamia.
- The bronze bust of Leonidas, king of Sparta, as well as the war memorial at the 480 B.C. battle location.
- The historical bridge of Alamana, located 3 km W, known after the heroic battle during which Athanasios Diakos played a major role.
- The Frankish castle of Vodonitsa (13th century), located 14 km SE, in Mendenitsa.
- The forest of Nevropoli, a forest of exceptional natural beauty, located on mount Kallidromo.
- A visit to the thermal springs of Thermopiles, with temperatures ranging from 39º C to 41º C, which are ideal for treating rheumatisms as well as neurological and gynecological conditions.
- Feast organized in honor of Aghios Ioannis Theologos on May 8th.
- “Mendenitsa: A castle of Culture”: cultural events organized every year in August.
Useful Phone Numbers
- Police station: 22310-93.311
- Thermal Spas: 22310-93.301